WHAT YOU WILL DO IN ROMANIA: Visit the important places in Romania connected with Vlad the Impaler and discover the myths and true history of the legendary “vampire” of Transylvania:
– Visit Biertan, one of most beautiful fortified churches in Transylvania
– Explore the numerous tourist attractions in Sibiu
– visit The Peles Castle, considered by many one of the most beautiful castles in all Europe
– enjoy a city tour in Cluj-Napoca or Bucharest
– visit the Poienari Castle which is the real Castle of Vlad The Impaler, known as Dracula
– enjoy dinner in Dracula’s House
– Explore the famous Bran Castle
– Admire the breathtaking landscape from the Transfagarasan road
– Enjoy a walking tour of the historical center of Brașov
Duration: 7 nights/ 8 days
PRICE PER PERSON based on occupancy level and group size specified. At request we can customize this tour. For bigger groups prices on request.
Tour starts in: Cluj-Napoca (or Bucharest/ Timisoara if requested)
Tour ends in: Cluj-Napoca ((or Bucharest/ Timisoara if requested)
All itinerary: Cluj-Napoca – Biertan – Sighisoara – Saschiz – Brasov – Rasnov – Bran – Sinaia – Bucharest – Curtea de Arges – Poienari – Vidraru – Sibiu – Sibiel – Alba Iulia – ClujNapoca
Day 1: Arrival in Romania
- Arrival by plane in Cluj-Napoca and transfer to the hotel. Free time – visit the city center (suggestions: the remains of Napoca roman settlement from the central area of the city, Church Saint Michael- one of the most beautiful gothic monuments in Transylvania). Accommodation in Cluj-Napoca in a 3*/4* hotel.
Day 2: Cluj-Napoca-Biertan – Sighisoara
- After breakfast we head to Sighisoara, the place where Dracula was born. On the way we stop in Biertan, one of most beautiful fortified churches in Transylvania, included in the UNESCO world heritage list. We reach Sighisoara, one of the only still inhabited medieval citadels in Europe, also UNESCO heritage. The fortress is among the most spectacular and mysterious medieval citadels in Transylvania.We enter the medieval atmosphereby walking on the narrow cobbled streets lined with faded pink, green, and ocher houses. It is also worth visiting the Hill Church (Bergkirche), a valuable architectural monument of the fortress, the covered stair built in 1662, to facilitate the children’s access to the up-hill school. The tour continues with: The Monastery Church, The Vlad Dracul House (this ocher-colored house is the place where Vlad Dracul once lived and where Vlad the Impaler was born. Today the house serves as a restaurant), the 9 towers (14 towers were erected, but only 9 are still standing), out of which the most important is The Clock Tower. Dinner in Dracula’s House and accommodation in Sighisoara in a 3*/4* hotel.
Day 3: Sighisoara – Saschiz – Prejmer – Brasov
- Breakfast.Today we head to Brasov, a beautiful city which has many places to show. On the way we stop to visit the Saxon village of Saschiz, with its beautiful gothic church and the famous Saxon houses. Then we head to the biggest fortified church in Transylvania which is located in Prejmer Village. We visit Brasov old town and see its tourist attractions: the Black Church,the Schei and Ecaterina Gates, the White and Black Towers, the Rope Street, the Council House. Optional: Take the cable car to the top of Tampa Mountain for an amazing view over the city. Dinner and accommodation in Brasov in a 3*/ 4* hotel.
Day 4: Brasov – Rasnov– Bran – Sinaia – Bucharest(218 Km)
- After breakfast we head to Rasnov and visit the peasant fortress, built as part of a defense system for the Transylvanian villages exposed to outside invasions. Next, we’ll proceed towardsBran and visit the Bran Castle, also known as “the Dracula’s Castle”,surrounded by an aura of mystery and legend. In our way to Bucharest we will stop in Sinaia to visit The Peles Castle, considered by many one of the most beautiful castles in all Europe. Nowadays, the Peles Castle is a very important museum that houses a vast collection of arms, armor and art pieces. Arrival in the capital city of Romania – Bucharest. Accommodation in Bucharest in a 3*/ 4* hotel.
Day 5: Bucharest -Curtea de Arges – Poienari Castle- Vidraru Lake
- Breakfast.In the morning you will start the tour of Bucharest, which will include a panoramic tour and a visit to the Palace of Parliament (second largest building in the world after the Pentagon). We will drive to Curtea de Arges Monastery, an architectural masterpiece unique in Romania. Then we stop at Poienari Castle which is the real Castle of Vlad The Impaler, known as Dracula in the Western World (the legend says that Vlad the Impaler ordered his imprisoned enemies to build this citadel on top of the mountain). Note: to reach thereal fortress you have to climb 1480 steps (approx. 30 min). At the end of the day we will reach Vidraru Lake where we will enjoy the extraordinary landscape of Vidraru Dam. Dinner and accommodation at Vidraru area in a 3*/ 4* hotel.
Day 6: Vidraru – Sibiu – Sibiel
- After breakfast we will cross the Transfagarasan road, one of the most spectacular roads in the world. We will cross the longest tunnel in Romania (887 m length) and reach Balea Lake and Balea Waterfall with a stop to admire the breathtaking views.Continue to Sibiu, the largest of the seven Saxon walled citadels of Transylvania, for a delightful walking tour of the three squares in the Old City (The Big Square with the Brukenthal Museum, The Small Square and the Huet Square).Arriving in Sibiel, a picturesque village located 20 km away from Sibiu,you will feel the authentic spirit of a Transylvanian village, but also the Romanian hospitality. Here you can visit the Glass Icons Museum. Dinner and accommodation in Sibiel in a guesthouse.
Day 7: Sibiel– Calnic – Alba Iulia – ClujNapoca
- Breakfast. We leave Sibiel for Alba Iulia. On the way we will stop to visit The Calnic Castle. The castlediffers from most other constructions of this type in that it is not situated on a hilltop but rather in a depression, much lower than the surrounding hills. In the middle of the court there is a large donjon as well as a chapel. We reach Alba Iulia where we will visit Alba Carolina Fortress, considered to be the most representative baroque, Vauban-type star fortress in Romania and one of the largest of this kind in Eastern Europe. At the end of the day we will arrive in Cluj-Napoca. Accommodation in Cluj-Napoca in a 3*/4* hotel.
Day 8: Farewell Romania
- After breakfast, depending on the flight schedule, free time in Cluj-Napoca. Transfer to the airport for your flight home.